This dinner was terrific and fairly easy to put together. Get the peppers started and then go to work on the pasta. Serves 4.
Pasta with Garlic, Herbs and Fresh Mozzarella – adapted from Gourmet magazine
- 1 lb. dried twisty pasta, such as gemelli or fusilli
- 2 large garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 2.5 oz. package basil, chopped
- 1 packed cup of chopped parsley
- 1/2 lb. fresh mozzarella, cut into small cubes
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 tsp Maldon sea salt
- 2 TBS red wine vinegar
- 1 cup packed small arugula leaves
Cook the pasta in a large pot of boiling salted water until al dente; before draining reserve 1/4 cup cooking water.
While the pasta is cooking, combine the garlic through sea salt in a large serving bowl.
Just before the pasta is finished, add the vinegar and arugula to the bowl and toss well.
Add the hot pasta and 1/4 cup cooking water and toss well.
Braised Bell Peppers – adapted from Eating Well magazine
- 2 TBS olive oil
- 2 large red peppers, cut into strips
- 2 large yellow peppers, cut into strips
- 1 large onion, sliced vertically
- 2 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 2 cups water
- 2 TBS tomato paste
- 2 TBS chopped fresh basil
- 1 TBS red wine vinegar
- freshly ground black pepper
Heat oil on a large skillet over medium heat.
Add peppers through salt and cook, stirring often, for 15 minutes.
Stir in water and tomato paste,
bring the mixture to a boil, then lower to a simmer and cook, stirring occasionally, for 30 minutes.
Stir in basil, vinegar and pepper, and serve.