This chowder recipe comes from my friend, Laura; I added the crab and avocado on top. For anyone averse to either of those, you could sprinkle some finely chopped chives on top. I served this with a mixed salad and challah. Serves 4.
- 2 TBS unsalted butter
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 red pepper, chopped
- 1/2 cup finely chopped celery
- 4 cups fresh or frozen corn (if fresh, cut kernels off cobs vertically into a bowl)
- 1 TBS chopped fresh basil (or 1/2 tsp dried)
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 1 cup vegetable broth
- 1 13.5-oz can light coconut milk
- 8 oz lump crab meat, drained and picked through
- 1 avocado, cubed
Melt butter in a large pot over medium heat. Add onions, peppers and celery and cook, stirring occasionally, until vegetables start to become tender, about 5 – 7 minutes.
Add corn, basil, salt and pepper and continue to cook, stirring often, for another 10 minutes.
Add broth and coconut milk, simmering and stirring frequently, for 10 minutes.
Puree half the soup, either with an immersion blender, or by ladling out half of the vegetables and broth and pureeing in a blender, then returning pureed soup to the pot.
Divide soup among 4 bowls, then divide crab and avocado, sprinkling on top.