Serve this recipe, adapted from one in Deborah Madison’s Vegetarian Cooking for Everyone, with garlic toast on the side. The chard seems to melt into the other ingredients for a homey and delicious meal. Serves 3 – 4.
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 Vidalia onion, chopped
- 1/3 cup fresh basil, thinly sliced, divided
- large pinch saffron
- 2 bunches swiss chard, leaves and some of stems, sliced
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 15 oz can cannellini beans, rinsed and drained
- 2 tomatoes, seeded and chopped
- freshly grated Parmesan or Parmigiano-Reggiano
Heat olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat.
Add onions, basil, and saffron, and cook, stirring occasionally,
until onions are tender and golden, about 5 – 7 minutes.
Add swiss chard and cook, covered, over medium-low heat, tossing mixture occasionally,
until both chard leaves and stems are tender, about 10 minutes.
Stir in beans and tomatoes to warm them, then sprinkle with cheese and serve.