This is a very comforting meal. Both my husband and son decided to wrap it in a tortilla and they loved it. Usually, chile takes a long time to cook. But because we’re using store-bought green enchilada sauce or green salsa, you can make it in under 30 minutes.
Serves 4-5 – Adapted from Eating Well
- 1 pound lean ground beef
- 1 tablespoon olive oil or oil of your choice
- 1 large green pepper, chopped
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 6 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 2 teaspoons cumin
- 1 16 ounce jar green salsa, green enchilada sauce or taco sauce (see note)
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 15-ounce can pinto or kidney beans, rinsed
- To serve: shredded Monterey Jack cheese, diced red onion, sour cream, and minced cilantro, plus corn bread
Note: I used Frontera brand green enchilada sauce (you’ll need 2 x 8oz pouches) and it was delicious. Be careful what brand you use as it might be spicy.