Serves 4 – 6, adapted from Bon Appetit.com
I made many different changes to this recipe, but I left the salsa as it is (except for doubling it).
Note: If you are serving this to kids, you might want to decrease the amount of chili powder.
- 2 chopped and peeled Granny Smith apple
- 1/2 cup chopped cilantro, divided (1/4 cup and 1/4 cup)
- 1 finely chopped red onion, divided (2 tbsp for salsa, rest for black beans)
- 1 teaspoon plus 1 tbsp fresh lime juice, divided
- 1 finely chopped green bell pepper
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil or olive oil
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 1/2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 2 teaspoons cumin powder
- 1/2 cup water
- 2 15-ounce cans black beans, rinsed and drained
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 1/2 cups white or brown rice
Start the meal by cooking the white or brown rice according to package directions.
Add the beans and the water and increase the heat so it comes to boil. Then reduce it to medium and simmer, for about 5 minutes. Season with salt, pepper and the 1 tbsp lime juice. Add more water if it becomes dry and season accordingly.