This is a very refreshing salad and so yummy, perfect on a hot day. I love the idea of using yogurt and spices in the dressing. Try to marinade the chicken the day before (it only takes 10 minutes to prepare the marinade). You can also leave out the chicken and turn it into a vegetarian salad.
Serves 4 – adapted from Eating Well
- 1/2 cup plain yogurt
- 2 teaspoons cumin
- 1 teaspoon garam masala (optional)
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1/2 teaspoon ground turmeric (optional)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 pound chicken breasts, or boneless skinless chicken thighs
- 1/2 cup yogurt
- 3/4 teaspoon cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon garam masala (optional)
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 5 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/4 cup chopped cilantro
- 1/2 small red onion, sliced
- 3 heads romaine lettuce, chopped
- 1 large cucumber, chopped
- 1 pint grape tomatoes
- 1 15-ounce can chickpeas, rinsed
Note: if the heads of romaine lettuce are large, you can just use 2 instead of 3.
Start by preparing the marinade the night before. Prepare the chicken by putting it on a board, covering it with cling wrap, and pounding it until it’s 1/4 to 1/2 inch thin. The thinner it is, the quicker it will cook. Combine all the marinade ingredients in a medium bowl, cover it and refrigerate overnight.
Remove the chicken from the marinade and discard the marinade. You can grill the chicken or you can cook it in a skillet. Place a large non-stick skillet over medium heat. Add a drizzle of oil, then add the chicken. Cook on one side for a few minutes. Flip and cook on the other side. Make sure it’s cooked all the way through. Set it aside on a plate, slice it across the grain into 1/2 inch width pieces, and tent it with foil.