I think this recipe came from Cooking Light (I adapted the sauce a bit), but wherever it came from, it’s great. Like Mexican-style comfort food great. You need to make the Enchilada Sauce first, either right before, earlier in the day, or even the night before. Serves 4 – 6.
- 1 TBS neutral oil (I used grapeseed)
- 1 red onion, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 TBS chili powder
- 1 TBS honey
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 26 – 28 oz. tomato puree or sauce
Heat oil in a large skillet over medium heat.
Add onions and garlic and cook, stirring occasionally, until onion is tender, about 5 minutes.
Add remaining ingredients, reduce heat to low, and simmer for 30 minutes.
- 1 TBS neutral oil (grapeseed again)
- 1 medium – large zucchini, finely chopped
- 10 oz. package frozen corn
- 15 oz. can black beans, rinsed and drained
- 8 8-inch whole wheat tortillas
- 8 oz. shredded reduced-fat cheddar cheese
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Heat oil in a large skillet over medium heat; add zucchini and corn and cook, stirring occasionally, for 5 minutes.
Remove from heat and stir in black beans.
Coat a 13 x 9” pan with cooking spray, then spread 1 cup of Enchilada Sauce over bottom of pan.
Take a tortilla, arrange 1/2 cup filling down the middle of the tortilla, and sprinkle with 2 TBS cheese. Fold left side of tortilla over filling, then right side, and place seam-side down on one end of the pan.
Continue with remaining tortillas and filling until pan is filled.
Pour remaining sauce over enchiladas, then sprinkle with remaining cheese. Tent foil over pan, sealing at edges (so foil doesn’t stick to cheese),
and bake for 30 minutes.
Romaine, Cilantro and Avocado Salad – serves 4
- 10 oz. package pre-washed romaine lettuce
- 1 cup roughly chopped cilantro
- 1 avocado, chopped
- 1/2 pint cherry or grape tomatoes, sliced in half
- 1 TBS extra-virgin olive oil
- juice of 1/2 lime
- salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
Whisk together oil, lime juice, salt and pepper.
Combine lettuce, cilantro, avocado and tomatoes in a serving bowl; add dressing and toss to coat.