This dinner was quick and tasty; I adapted the hash from Eating Well. Serve with warm pita bread or whole grain flatbread, if desired.
Chickpea and Potato Hash – Serves 4 – 6.
- 6 cups frozen shredded hash brown potatoes
- 5 oz. fresh baby spinach, chopped
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 1/2 TBS fresh chopped ginger
- 1 1/2 TBS curry powder
- 3/4 tsp kosher salt
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- 1 15-oz. can chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- 6 large eggs
In a large bowl toss together the frozen hash browns, spinach, onion, ginger, curry powder and salt.
Heat the oil in a 12” skillet over medium-high heat; add the potato mixture and let cook, in one layer, for 5 minutes.
Stir in chickpeas through the top layers, then make 6 indentations for the eggs.
Crack eggs into the indentations, lower heat to medium and cover the skillet;
cook for 5 – 10 minutes, or until whites are set and yolks are the way you like them.
Cucumber, Tomato and Yogurt Salad – Serves 4.
- 1 English cucumber, quartered lengthwise, then chopped
- 2 tomatoes, seeded and chopped (slice in half crosswise, squeeze out seeds, then chop)
- 1 cup plain nonfat Greek yogurt
- 1/3 cup fresh chopped mint
- 1/4 tsp kosher salt
- 1/4 tsp ground cumin
- freshly ground black pepper to taste
Combine all ingredients in a bowl; chill until ready to serve.