This recipe, adapted from Mollie Katzen’s Still Life with Menu cookbook, is great: fast, light, fresh, healthy and delicious.
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 4 – 6 garlic cloves, depending on size, chopped, divided
- 1 TBS olive oil
- 1 tsp coarse sea salt
- 1 lb. broccoli, cut into florets
- 8 oz. mushrooms, stems removed or trimmed, sliced
- 14 oz. package firm tofu, drained, cut into about 1/2” cubes
- 1 red pepper, finely chopped
- 1 tsp dried basil
- 1/2 tsp dried thyme
- freshly ground black pepper
- 1/3 cup grated cheddar cheese
Heat oil in a large, deep skillet over medium heat. Cook onions, half of the garlic, and salt for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
Add broccoli and mushrooms and cook for 5 minutes,
or until the broccoli turns a deeper shade of green.
Add the tofu through pepper and cook, stirring occasionally, for about 5 – 6 minutes, or until the vegetables are just tender.
Add the remaining garlic and cook for another minute or so, then stir in the cheese until it melts and serve.