Caribbean Rice and Beans with Garlicky Shrimp
Serves 4 – Adapted from Whole Foods magazine
- 1 cup long grain rice
- 1 13.5 ounce can light coconut milk
- 1 large yellow onion, finely diced
- 1 red bell pepper, diced into 1/4-inch pieces
- 6 garlic cloves, minced (separated 4 and 2)
- 1/4 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 15-ounce can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 12 large shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 2 tablespoons olive oil, separated
In the same skillet over medium heat, add 1 tablespoon olive oil, then the onion, and red bell pepper. Cook, stirring occasionally, until tender, about 5-7 minutes. Then add the minced garlic, allspice, cinnamon, thyme, and 1/2 teaspoon salt. Cook, stirring, for 30 seconds.
While the onions and the beans are cooking, you can get started on the avocado and grapefruit salad.
Avocado and Grapefruit Salad
This is a very refreshing salad. You can double the recipe if serving more than 2.
Serves 2 – Adapted from Ina Garten’s Barefoot Contessa on the Food Network
- 1 avocado, sliced lengthwise into 1/2-inch thickness
- 1 red grapefruit
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon dijon mustard
- salt to taste
In a small bowl, combine the lemon juice, olive oil and salt. Add the avocado and toss so that it doesn’t brown.