This recipe, adapted from Gourmet magazine, serves 4.
- 3/4 cup whole roasted almonds
- 3 garlic cloves, smashed
- 3/4 cup water
- 1 lb. cavatappi or other short tubular pasta
- 2 TBS extra-virgin olive oil
- 3 TBS unsalted butter, divided
- 1 10-oz. package frozen peas
- 1/2 cup freshly grated Parmigiano-Reggiano, plus extra for serving
- juice from 1/2 lemon
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh basil, divided
- 1/3 cup chopped fresh mint, divided
- 1/3 cup chopped roasted almonds
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
In a blender, puree the 3/4 cup almonds, garlic and water. Cook cavatappi in a large pot of boiling salted water until almost al dente (a couple minutes short of the listed cooking time).
Reserve 2 1/2 cups cooking water; drain pasta.
Have the rest of the ingredients ready.
Heat oil and 1 TBS butter in a 12” skillet over medium heat;
add almond puree and simmer, whisking occasionally, until thickened, about 2 – 3 minutes.
Add the reserved cooking water along with salt and pepper to taste. Simmer another 3 – 4 minutes, whisking occasionally.
Whisk in remaining butter until melted,
then add the pasta and peas. Cook, stirring occasionally, until pasta is al dente, another 3 minutes or so.
Stir in cheese and lemon juice.
Remove from heat and stir in half the basil and mint, along with more salt and pepper to taste.
Serve pasta in bowls, sprinkled with remaining basil, mint and cheese.