I adapted this dessert from Ina Garten’s recipe. I reduced the amount of sugar by half a cup, I replaced half of the flour with whole wheat pastry flour, I replaced half of the butter with coconut oil, I added 2 tablespoons flaxseed meal (because I can’t help it!), I added 1/4 teaspoon salt, I used vanilla extract instead of vanilla bean, and I used Grand Marnier (orange liqueur) instead of Framboise liqueur.
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, melted and cooled
- 1/2 cup coconut oil, melted and cooled
- 4 eggs, at room temperature
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 tablespoon orange liqueur, such as Grand Marnier (optional)
- 3/4 cup cocoa powder
- 1/4 cup all purpose flour
- 1/4 cup whole wheat pastry flour
- 2 tablespoons flaxseed meal
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- vanilla ice cream and strawberries for serving
Preheat oven to 325F, and lightly butter a 2-quart oval baking dish (or a similar one).
To the egg mixture, add vanilla extract, orange liqueur, and cocoa / flour mixture. Mix on lowest speed until combined. Pour butter and coconut oil slowly into the egg / cocoa mixture and mix until just combined.