- 1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, softened
- 6 oz. reduced-fat cream cheese, softened
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup Stevia
- 2 large eggs
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 3/4 cup unbleached all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup whole wheat flour
- 1/4 cup ground flaxseed
- 1 3/4 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 1/2 cups blueberries (fresh or frozen)
- Sparkling white sugar (optional)
Preheat oven to 400 degrees and coat a muffin tin with cooking spray.
Using an electric mixer, cream together the butter, cream cheese, sugar and Stevia.
Beat in the eggs and vanilla.
In another bowl, whisk together the flours, flaxseed, baking powder and salt.
Add flour mixture to the butter mixture and beat on low speed until just combined.
Stir in blueberries.
Divide batter among muffin tins and sprinkle with sparkling white sugar. Place muffin tin in oven and immediately reduce oven temperature to 375. Bake for 25 – 28 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
Cool on a wire rack. Muffins freeze well.
- Cinnamon apple muffins – Substitute two peeled and diced apples, tossed with a little cinnamon sugar, for the blueberries, and sprinkle muffins with cinnamon sugar before baking.
- Raspberry orange muffins – Add the zest of one orange to the dry ingredients. Substitute 1 1/2 cups fresh or frozen raspberries for the blueberries. Sprinkle with sparkling white sugar before baking.
- Cinnamon muffins – Substitute 1 cup cinnamon chips (you can find them, and the sparkling white sugar, and lots of other great stuff, at www.kingarthurflour.com) for the fruit, and sprinkle with cinnamon sugar before baking.