Serves 3 – 4 adults, depending on appetite.
- 13.25 oz whole wheat penne
- 15.5 oz. can butter beans, rinsed and drained (you can use cannellini beans, too)
- 1 large or 2-3 small leeks, cut length-wise, then chopped, then rinsed in a strainer
- 1/2 cup pitted kalamata olives, cut in half length-wise
- 1/2 cup oil-packed sun-dried tomatoes, drained well, chopped
- good handful of parsley, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, chopped
- 4 TBS olive oil, divided
- freshly ground black pepper
- 4 oz. queso fresco or ricotta salata cheese, crumbled
Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil; cook penne until al dente according to package directions.
Meanwhile, heat 2 TBS in a large saucepan over medium-low heat and saute the leeks for about 5 minutes. Add the garlic; when fragrant, add the beans, olives, tomatoes, parsley, and black pepper. Saute for a few minutes while the pasta finishes cooking.
Reserve a little cooking water before draining the pasta. Put the pasta back into the pot along with the bean mixture, 2 TBS olive oil and a little pasta cooking water to moisten. Add the crumbled cheese, tossing to combine.
Serve with a simple green salad dressed with good balsamic vinegar.