This is a staple meal in our home as everyone in our family likes it. Though my 4-year-old will pick on the broccoli and toss it aside! It is also a quick meal to prepare, perfect for a busy weeknight meal.
- 1 lb pasta shape of your choice
- 3 little heads of broccoli (or 2 big ones) (you can also use a packet of frozen broccoli)
- 3 TBS butter
- 3 TBS flour
- 3 cups milk
- salt & pepper
- 1/2 tsp dijon mustard
- 1 1/2 tspn soy sauce
- a little pinch of nutmeg
- a little pinch of garlic powder
- 1 1/4 cups grated cheddar cheese (not too sharp) (about 5 ounces)
- 1 1/4 cups grated parmesan cheese (about 5 ounces) (or you could use just cheddar or just parmesan)
Boil the pasta in salted water according to packet directions.
Boil the broccoli in water for 3 minutes or to desired tenderness, drain, and add the broccoli to iced water for a few minutes.
Meanwhile, heat up the milk in a pot or in the microwave until very hot.
In a separate pot, melt the butter on medium heat,
then add the flour. Stir for a minute with a wooden spoon.
Add the hot milk to the flour / butter mixture and whisk for a few more minutes until the sauce starts bubbling and thickening.
Whisk in the dijon mustard, soy sauce, nutmeg, garlic powder, and the cheese. Adjust seasoning. You want this to be a little bit on the salty side as it is going to coat the broccoli and the pasta.
Mix the cheese sauce, broccoli and pasta together and serve.